FORENSIC SCIENCE SYLLABUS. Instructor: Tiffini A. King. E-mail:
BS in Biology Education (SLU '92) Major- Biology. Minor- Chemistry
FORENSIC SCIENCE SYLLABUS
Tiffini A. King E-mail: [email protected]
BS in Biology Education (SLU ‘92) Major- Biology Minor- Chemistry MS in Biology Education (USM ‘98)
Concentration- Forensic Science and Disease
Certified First Responder and Instructor (NIMSA ’03) Certified BLS Instructor and Instructor (AHA ’03) Certified Swift Water Rescue Technician (’09) National Registry Emergency Medical Technician-Basic and Instructor (NIMSA ’08)
Supplies and fees:
Lab fee- Forensic Science $7.00
Supplies- 1. 2 Rolls of paper towels (opt.) 2. Binder or a 3 pronged folder FOR THIS CLASS ONLY 3. College rule loose leaf paper 4. Writing utensil 5. Hi-liter 6. English/ Metric Ruler Classroom Rules:
1. Be respectful to your instructor, your classmates and any guests of our classroom. 2. Follow directions the first time they are given. 3. Be on time. (You should be in your seat when the bell rings) 4. Turn in work on time.
1st offence- verbal warning, written assignment or detention as per the instructor, parents are notified. 2nd offence- Written assignment or detention as per the instructor, parents are notified. 3rd offence- Written assignment or detention as per the instructor and parents are notified. 4th offence- Discipline referral to the office, parents are notified.
** The teacher reserves the right to skip the first 3 consequences and immediately write a discipline referral if she feels the offence warrants such action.
Tardy Policy: 1st Hr. Students: If you are not IN MY CLASSROOM when the tardy bell rings, STOP where you are and go to student services. DO NOT drop off your books etc.
The school tardy policy will be strictly enforced. It is very impolite to enter a classroom late. The following penalties will be applied for tardy students:
1st tardy- Student must sincerely apologize to the class and instructor.
2nd tardy- Student must sincerely apologize to the class and instructor.
3rd tardy- Student must sincerely apologize to the class and instructor.
***ANY TARDY THEREAFTER WILL BE REFERRED TO THE OFFICE FOR DICIPLINARY ACTION AS PER THE SCHOOL/ PARISH HANDBOOK.
LATE WORK TURNED IN ONE DAY LATE IS WORTH A MAXIMUM OF 50%. AFTER ONE DAY IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE BE SURE YOU TURN IN YOUR WORK ON TIME.
“Give me 5”: Give me 5 is a management technique used to bring the class to order so that the instructor can efficiently give a block of instruction or address the class as a whole. When the instructor raises her hand with her fingers spread and says “give me 5”, the student will:
1. Stop what you are doing. 2. Stop talking. 3. Look at the instructor. 4. Give the instructor your undivided attention. 5. Raise your hand with your fingers spread to let your instructor and classmates that you are ready.
Classroom Procedures and Routines: In life, as well as the classroom, always practice good character and etiquette. Possessing these qualities will put you above the rest.
1. Enter the classroom in a quiet, orderly fashion and be seated in your assigned seat. 2. TAKE OUT YOUR PHONE, TURN IT OFF, AND STACK ALL PHONES AT THE END OF THE TABLE. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REMOVE ANY PHONE FROM THE STACK UNTIL I TELL YOU TO DO SO. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE LAPTOPS OR PAD DEVICES OUT IN MY CLASSROOM. 3. Please do not put book bags, purses, jackets stacks of books etc. on the desktops at anytime. All items not directly being used during class should be placed on the floor under your table. Please keep the rows clear of clutter. 4. Check the board for the day’s lesson and prepare yourself accordingly, then sit quietly until further instruction. My lesson plan, assignments, due dates, test dates etc. can also be found on my web page under the “Calendar/Lesson Plan” Icon. 5. Begin the warm-up assignment.
6. All work to be turned in will be in blue or black ink, on loose leaf (college rule), or typed. If papers are typed use the following format: 1 inch margins (top, bottom, and sides), 12 point Times New Roman font, double spaced. My printer wasn’t working is NOT a valid excuse for turning something in late. E-MAIL it. 7. Be sure you have your name, date and hour on the RIGHT side of all work. Please DO NOT turn in paper that has been ripped out of your notebook or has “ruffled” edges 8. All work to be turned in will be placed in the appropriate box for your class. ON TIME. 9. Raise your hand to be recognized for input and remain silent while your instructor is teaching a lesson or another student is giving input. 10. Come to class with all materials. 11. Turn in all admit slips as you enter the classroom. See instructor after class for make-up work or e-mail instructor for make-up work. (E-MAIL ME!!!! IT’S EASIER) 12. Remain awake and alert during class. 13. DO NOT bring or consume food, drink, candy, gum or water in this classroom. 14. The grooming of oneself shall not be done in the classroom. 15. The writing or reading of personal correspondence (i.e. “notes”) shall NOT occur during class time. All personal correspondence will be confiscated and posted on the bulletin board. 16. Wait for the instructor to properly close the lesson and instruct you to begin packing up. It is impolite to begin packing up while the instructor is still teaching the lesson. I teach BELL TO BELL. 17. Packing up includes making sure the classroom is neat, orderly, policed of all trash and that all classroom materials are properly stored in their designated areas. 18. It is unacceptable to get up and roam around while waiting for the bell to ring. You must remain in your assigned seat. 19. When the bell rings, push your chair in when you leave. 20. The use of electronic devices absolutely will NOT be tolerated. The school discipline procedure will be strictly followed in this matter. 21. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
USE COURTSEY, RESPECT AND COMMON SENSE IN THE CLASSROOM.
Make-up work and Homework:
1. The school make-up policy will be followed with the exception of tests. Make-up day for tests will be once a week on Thursday AFTER SCHOOL. You will have two Thursdays to make up a test. If you do not make-up the test in time, the grade will be a zero. Do not expect the same test as the rest of the class. Make-up tests do not qualify for review sessions or bonus questions.
2. DO NOT MISS CLASS ON LAB DAY. For certain labs, there may be no make-up opportunity.
20% Exam 60% Test/ Lab/ Project 20% Quiz/ Work
Bathroom and Leaving Class:
Each student will be issued 2 emergency passes per nine weeks to be used at the instructor’s discretion. Students should come to class with all materials and use the restroom before or after class. Please DO NOT come to class and drop off your books then go to the restroom. If you are late to class you will be marked tardy.
FYI: THIS CLASS GOES TO FIRST LUNCH
Please sign, date and have your parent sign and date the contract BELOW. Also have your parent fill out his or her e-mail address and contact phone number. Bring the completed, signed and dated contract to class.
Name: ________________________ Date: _________________________ Hour: ________________________ Subject: ______________________
T. King Classroom Contract
I, _________________________________ have read the class rules, policies, routines and procedures contained within and I understand and agree to follow them.
Student signature: ________________________________ Date: _______________
Parent signature: _________________________________ Date: _______________
Parent’s e-mail address: ___________________________
Parent’s cell phone number (or best contact number) ____________________________