International Funding - Community Action Derby

94kB Size 4 Downloads 23 Views

Ann Jane Green Charitable Trust has a wide range of objects. ... Department for International Development UK Aid – leads Britain's fight against global poverty ...
International Funding

Ann Jane Green Trust – (managed by Ann Jane Green Trust) – support for a range of charitable activities including overseas activities. Who can apply? Charitable organisations. What is available? Variable. Ann Jane Green Charitable Trust has a wide range of objects. These include: alleviation and care of sickness or infirmity, provision of assistance to persons of impaired fortunes and support of children in need. The trust has also funded animal welfare and overseas development activities. For more information visit

Big Lottery Fund – this programme is the Big Lottery Fund’s way of helping disadvantaged communities overseas. It will have a budget of up to £80 million between 2010 and 2015. They will fund effective projects that tackle the causes of poverty and deprivation and bring about a long-term difference to the lives of the most disadvantaged people in the world. These will result in:

• Improved primary education • Improved health • Improved access to and use of natural resources • Improved ability for the most disadvantaged people to exercise their human rights

This is open to UK based non-governmental organisations working with overseas partners in Africa, Asia (including the Pacific and Central Asian countries), the Middle East, Central and South America, the Caribbean and parts of Eastern Europe. For more information –

Charity Commission – there is lots of information on this website relating to charities working internationally. For more information visit

Charles Hayward Foundation

The Foundation makes grants to registered charities. Current categories that are funded are:

• Heritage and conservation • Criminal justice • Hospices • Older people • Overseas • Small grant scheme up to £5,000

For more information visit or phone 0207 370 7063 Comic Relief – supports some of the most disadvantaged and poorest people in the world. Africa is the focus for most of the international work as the continent has the highest levels of poverty and injustice in the world. The international grants programme offers two types of grant:

• Project grants – of up to £1 million over a five-year period are available to registered charities in the UK • Investment grants – are available to UK registered charities that already hold a Comic Relief grant. There is no upper limit to this grant.

Applications are welcome for projects under the following categories:

• Trade • People affected by HIV and AIDS • People affected by conflict • Street and Working Children and Young People • People Living in Urban Slums • Women and Girls

For further information and to download guidelines and application forms for each programme, visit or telephone 0207 820 5555

Department for International Development UK Aid – leads Britain’s fight against global poverty delivering UK aid around the world –

Feed the Minds – for those with partner NGOs in the developing world. This funder is an ecumenical Christian organisation that supports education in the world’s poorest regions.

Based in the UK, they work with partners located in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America. They support adult literacy projects, as well as education around general health, HIV/Aids, human rights, income-generation and community-building. Small grants range from £1,000 to £10,000. Large grants range from £10,000 to £25,000. For more information or 0845 121 2102

Global Community Links – aims to increase understanding of global development issues, and offers funding and support to community groups in the UK that have a link with a community group in a developing country.

Groups may apply for grants of up to £10,000 to create links with communities in the developing world and improve understanding of global poverty. Global Community Links can provide ongoing support, resources and workshops to help groups develop their ideas. For more information visit inks

or telephone 0161 957 7790. Hilden Trust – are for projects in developing countries working on community development, education and health. Trustees will particularly welcome projects that address the needs and potential of girls and women. For more information visit

John Ellerman Foundation – the areas of support include:

• Health and disability • Social welfare • Arts and heritage • Conservation • Overseas

The minimum grant available is £10,000. You must be a registered charity. There is a 2 stage process (guidance is available on the website). For more information – or 0207 930 8566

Rufford Small Grants – for nature conservation can provide up to £6,000 for small conservation programmes and pilot projects overseas. Individuals and small groups may apply. Project must fit the following criteria:

• Impact must be pragmatic, measurable and long lasting • The grant must make up the majority of the total budget • Funds must be used predominantly in the field

For more information visit

You can also do your own funding searches on the following two free websites: • Funding Central – • J4b Community -

General Information

Institute of Fundraising – raising money for charities abroad. It is possible to fundraise for charities that are not registered in the UK. However, you should be aware that you cannot use the words ‘charity’ or ‘charitable’ if the cause you are raising money for is not a UK registered charity. For more information on how to fundraise visit

Questions to think about

• Being in a different country –you need to think about what legal requirements/paperwork may be required

• How will you distribute the goods? If you don’t have any contacts overseas, would you be able to do this yourself?

• How are you going to ensure that the goods will get to those people in need?

• How are you going to get the goods there? Ocean or air freight? What is this going to cost?

• Have you tried contacting charities that have a similar line of work and trying to gather some information about them?

• Have you thought about support an existing NGO rather than starting one yourself?

• Have you talked to people and organisations who are already doing aid work in that field

• Have you already identified a specific community/school/age group that you are keen to support?


Support for UK groups working overseas

New local groups may be able to get support and help for work overseas from a well-established charity (e.g. WaterAid) already working in a particular subject or area. There may even be small grants available from that organisation, or opportunities to work in partnership. You can research possible support online using the BOND membership directory –

Directory of Social Change

They publish a range of books, some of which may be useful to UK groups working overseas. The International Development Directory is the most relevant –



• British Overseas NGOs for Development – • • Directory of Social Change – • National Council for Voluntary Organisations –