American Society of Civil Engineers. at the University of Maryland. Last updated: January 18, 2010 Preamble We, the members of the student chapter of American Society ...
Constitution of the: American Society of Civil Engineers
at the University of Maryland
Last updated: January 18, 2010 Preamble We, the members of the student chapter of American Society of Civil Engineers, do hereby establish this Constitution in order that our purpose is realized to its fullest extent. Article I - Name The name of the organization will be The American Society of Civil Engineers Student Chapter at the University of Maryland, henceforth referred to as ASCE. Article II - Purpose The objectives of ASCE is to provide a medium in which Civil and Environmental Engineering students can interact, create a medium for student and faculty interaction, and to provide as a stepping stone for students as they begin their careers. ASCE understands and is committed to fulfilling its responsibilities of abiding by university policies. Article III - Membership Active membership shall be limited to persons officially connected with the University of Maryland, College Park as registered students, faculty, and staff that have requested membership (form available online).
Dues are not required for active membership or voting privileges. However, it is requested that members pay dues per semester ($7.50 payable online for each semester) to help the overall functioning of ASCE. This payment is required to access the ASCE test bank. ASCE openly admits students to its membership and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, academic major, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
Article IV - Officers ASCE will be headed by a group of Officers that are undergraduate students. All offices, except that of the advisor, shall be held by currently enrolled students. ASCE will be governed by the following means: 1. ASCE shall elect a President. The President will preside at all meetings of ASCE, direct the organization, and oversee the Concrete Canoe and Steel Bridge competition teams. The President will oversee all officers and will also serve as the official liaison to faculty, staff, and outside organizations. The candidate for this position must have served on the ASCE executive board for at least one semester prior to running.
2. There will be a Vice President, CFO (Chief Financial Officer), who will be appointed by the previous CFO. The CFO’s duties include handling all financial correspondences with ASCE that deal with outside sources (corporate sponsorships, etc). In addition, the CFO shall preside at all meetings and functions that the President cannot attend.
3. There will be a Vice President, COO (Chief Operating Officer), who will be appointed by the previous COO. The COO will oversee all projects. The COO will provide project management and technical support to both projects. The COO will be in charge of the Project Managers, Project Engineers, Superintendents, and all other project personnel.
a. All project personnel, including project managers, engineers, and superintendents, shall appoint their successor at least two months prior to the end of their term. Each appointment shall have the approval of the current COO.
4. ASCE shall elect a Treasurer. The Treasurer will be responsible for all internal ASCE money, which includes dues, reimbursements for ASCE- related purchases, and internal fundraisers (e.g. food sales, FE review book sales). The Treasurer is also responsible for all SGA- related correspondences and forms, including applying for primary and secondary funding, and attending the required SGA meetings.
5. ASCE shall elect a Secretary. The Secretary will handle the administrative duties for the organization, which include updating and maintaining the membership roster and advertising for all ASCE events.
6. ASCE shall elect a Director of Social Events. The Director of Social Events will plan both student-faculty (bowling, softball, etc.) and student-only (happy hour, etc.) events. The Director will work closely with the President and Treasurer to budget each event.
7. ASCE shall elect one or two Engineering Student Council (ESC) Liaisons. The role of the ESC Liaison(s) will be to claim points for all ASCE events and attend the monthly ESC meetings. Through this role, the Liaison(s) will communicate to ESC any required information as requested from ESC.
8. The ASCE executive board will appoint a Webmaster, who will be responsible for updating the organization’s website as requested by the ASCE executive board. The Webmaster will also be responsible for renewing the website’s registration and all other technical services required to upkeep the website.
9. The ASCE executive board will request a Faculty Advisor, with prior consideration and approval from the current CEE chair. The role and duties of the Faculty Advisor shall include attending ASCE general body meetings whenever possible, providing counsel to the organization’s officers, and act as a point of contact with faculty, staff, and outside organizations. (It is recommended, however not required, that the Faculty Advisor is changed every three years. This is a decision that should be made by the Executive Board.) Article V - Operations 1. Voting Eligibility a. Those members that are current, active undergraduate students will be granted voting privileges.
2. Election Process a. All elected officers shall be elected by a majority vote of eligible voting members of ASCE. All elections will be held on an annual basis early in the spring semester (February or March).
b. If an officer is scheduled to graduate after a Fall term (Winter graduation), then elections will be held in November to replace their position.
c. The President will take all nominations at a general body meeting. Nominees can be self-appointed or appointed by fellow ASCE members. The nominated parties will be allowed to vote.
d. All voting shall be done by secret ballot to be collected and tabulated by the Secretary or Treasurer and one voting member of ASCE, appointed by the outgoing President. The voting process shall be held during a specified amount of time during the day in the ASCE lounge or by online ballot.
3. Removal a. Any officer of ASCE in violation of the Organization's purpose or Constitution may be removed from office by the following process:
i. A written request by at least three members of the Organization. ii. Written notification to the officer of the request, asking the officer to be present at the next meeting and prepared to speak. iii. A two –thirds (2/3) majority vote is necessary to remove the officer.
4. Meetings a. All meetings will occur on a monthly basis or other regular basis at a time selected by ASCE and will follow the procedure set forth below. i. Attendance ii. Introduction by the President iii. Committee reports iv. Vote on all committee motions and decisions v. Any other business put forward by the members of the club vi. Special presentations vii. Dismissal by the President
Article VI - Finances ASCE will finance the activities it engages in by the following means: 1. Membership dues (not required to be a voting member, however dues are greatly appreciated).
2. ASCE will submit a budget to the Student Government Association Finance Committee on an annual basis and request funding appropriate to the effective operations of the organization for each year. The President, Treasurer, and CFO will create the budget.
Article VII - Amendments
The Constitution is binding to all members of the ASCE. The Constitution is not binding unto itself. The Constitution will be publicly available on the ASCE Website.
1. Any voting member or executive officer may propose amendments to the Constitution by contacting the President in writing.
a. These amendments must first be approved by all executive officers.
b. Proposed amendments will become effective after these steps are taken:
i. Displaying the proposed Constitution to all members by displaying the proposed document on the Website immediately following executive board approval.
ii. Displaying a hard copy at the next general body meeting.
iii. ASCE members may contact the President in writing within one week of the hard copy display at the general body meeting with any concerns.
iv. If the President does not receive any concerns in writing, then the Constitution will official become effective.
Article VIII - Registration Renewal ASCE will apply to SGA for registration on an annual basis.