Answer the following questions by viewing the Animated Western Front Map – go back to the BBC World War One homepage and click on ... World War I Scavenger Hunt ...
World War I Scavenger Hunt
Use the following website to complete the Scavenger Hunt http://www.bbc.net.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/ (please note that occasionally you will get an error message… the problem can usually be fixed by going to Google and typing in BBC + world war one… choose the first link)
1. Click on “The Trenches: Virtual Tour” and visit the Virtual Tours of the Trenches (there are 5 you will visit… see chart below) Click “Launch the Tour” Make sure you click your mouse within the picture to move through the picture.
While visiting each trench write down your thoughts, what do you see, what do you notice… |Dog Fight | | |Dug-Out Entrance | | |Inside the Dug-Out | | |Life in the Trenches | | |Front Line Trenches | |
2. Now that you have written down your thoughts and viewed each of the tours, write a paragraph about what life was like for the soldiers in the trenches. Use complete sentences and correct grammar.
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Answer the following questions by viewing the Animated Western Front Map – go back to the BBC World War One homepage and click on “Campaigns and Battles”, then click on “Animated Map: The Western Front, 1914 – 1918”
3. Based on the 1914 map which countries were part of the Central Powers? (List below) ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
4. What type of plan did the German’s adopt and why? ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
5. At what rivers did the beginning of trench warfare begin? ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________
6. What city was a barrier between the Germans and the Barrier Ports? ___________________________________________________________________________
7. Where did the British first use gas? ___________________________________________________________________________
8. What town became a symbol of the French resistance? ___________________________________________________________________________
9. What was one of the longest and bloodiest battles of the war and when did it occur? ___________________________________________________________________________
10. Explain “The Big Push” (purpose, when and where did it occur…) | | | | | |
11. What was the ‘cost’ (or effect) of the Battle of Somme? | | | | | | | |
12. Which country did Russia sign a treaty with after their revolution? What did that country gain? _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________
13. What is the “Black Day of the German Army” (when and what)? ____________________________________________________________________________ __ ____________________________________________________________________________ __
14. When was the armistice signed? __________________________________________
15. After looking through the animated World War I map – what else did you learn about World War I? (not including the questions you have already answered).
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |